By: Parallels and Meridians
Kerala also popularly known as God’s own country is an abode for foodies, cultural aesthetes, and of course nature lovers. Kerala is an assortment of everything. It is a beautifully crafted land. Travelers and explorers from all over the world have been drawn to this magical land of spices for several centuries! Except now, there are even more reasons to visit enchanting Kerala.
And here are just 10 reasons to love Kerala
1. The Spice plantations– A typical Indian kitchenette is always empty without the key spices stacked in the cabinets. It’s a must have in every single household and now, imagine yourself in a plantation full of these spices! It’s a must visit. Kerala is famous for its pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and so many more. So, don’t forget to leave room in your bag to grab some spices to take home!
2. The Backwaters of Kerala– The backwaters of Kerala are one of the most incredible waterways in the world and cruising in a house-boat which is made like a traditional rice barge, would definitely give you an opportunity to add in your list of the most favorite moments in your life. Relaxing and soothing as it sounds, it’s undoubtedly true in every sense. So, get ready to be mesmerized by the nature and beauty of these amazing waterways.
3. Cochin, Kerala’s historical city– The spice trade, first started by the Arabs and Chinese and later by the Europeans, brought trade, cultural exchange and prosperity to this Arabian sea port. You can still view the multicultural influences here, shop for crafts, spices, souvenirs in the lanes of the Jew town. The oldest synagogue in the commonwealth and Ramayana murals adorning the walls of the Mattancherry or Dutch Palace are one of the main captures of the city. The Chinese fishing nets in operation is yet again, one of Kerala’s iconic scenes.
4. Tropical Beaches– Miss the sands, the sea? Hit the luscious beaches of Kerala at Kovalam, Varkala and Cherai and enjoy a beautiful sunset over the Arabian sea.
5. Refreshing Hill Stations– Is the tropical climate becoming too hot and humid for you? You can escape to the nearest hill station of Munnar and be rewarded with fresh, cool air and stunning views. The hills of Munnar are blanketed in shades of green with a number of tea plantations which is not only a treat to your eyes but also the mind. Indulge yourself in a cup or two while in Munnar.
6. Wildlife paradise– Nature has really blessed Kerala and its national parks are home to some incredible wildlife. Animal lovers would love to visit Periyar for tigers and leopards, and Wayanad to spot elephants in the wild! If you want to click some beautiful shots of these majestic creatures, this is a place to be.
7. Kathakali– Leaving Kerala without seeing a Kathakali performance would be a big regret. The traditional dance of the state with elaborate dance forms, colourful make up, costumes and stunning facial expressions, accompanied by spirited music is an unmissable experience.
8. Ayurveda– Familiar with Ayurveda and ayurvedic massages? Relaxing isn’t it? Due to the abundant supply of spices and medicinal plants, Kerala is the home of Ayurveda, an ancient, natural healing science that has been practiced in India for over 5000 years. Nothing is better than pampering yourself with an ayurvedic massage in the land of ayurveda!
9. Savory Cuisine– If you’re a foodie, then you’ve reached your haven. Spicy, coconutty, the traditional fish molee, (a spicy yellow fish curry) is a delicacy. The non-vegetarian dishes are cooked with gusto and a must try. Also fluffy pancakes called Appam and Toddy- a coconut palm wine are popular and favorites of the region.
10. The main essence- It’s people– Kerala being blessed by nature, is also blessed with the most warm and welcoming people. Kerala without a doubt, is one of the most beautiful places in India but it’s true essence is it’s people.
11. Kerala Kasavu Settu Saree– This traditional cotton sari is a must have in every cup board, ladies! It’s a beautiful, white saree with golden work. Chic and comfortable at the same time. Nothing can beat the simplicity yet elegance that it brings along.
Well, the additional reason is yet another reason to love Kerala!